Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Postmortem: Turkey Day


That's me, above, surrounded by my brothers. It's been awhile since we've had a sibling picture, and I liked it better when I was taller than my younger brothers.
Nearly a week later, and my house is returning to a somewhat normal status following the Best Thanksgiving Ever. There were 16 of us gathered in my cozy kitchen and dining area (and living room, too), and we feasted on this potluck menu:


Appetizers: Cheddar Cayenne Coins and Maple Glazed Walnuts from Fine Cooking magazine

Roasted, Dry-Brined Turkey (13 pounds, buttered and roasted at 400 for just over two hours)

Smoked Turkey Breast (9 pounds, Cajun marinade, smoked for about six hours)

Cornbread Dressing (never stuffing)

Mashed Potatoes

Homemade Gravy

Sweet Potato Casserole
Cranberry Casserole

Deviled Eggs

Watergate Salad (green Jell-o fluff)

Cranberry Relish (homemade with fresh cranberries)

Cranberry Sauce (from the can, carefully opened to fully display the ridges)

Homemade Crescent Rolls (they take days and are worth it)

Boiled Rutabagas (a family tradition)

And for dessert (all homemade)...

Apple Cake

Cheesecake with raspberry or blueberry topping

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake


After the meal, my dear husband went to work on our favorite Thanksgiving dish: the turkey soup. He carved the meat off the carcass and made a rich broth with it. The soup was finished with potatoes and some of the turkey breast meat. Two fine meals on T-day.

No comments: