Thursday, November 10, 2011

Apple blondie, aka German apple cake

German apple cake. Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books

Throughout November, I'm highlighting recipes with apples - probably my favorite fruit to bake with, (ok, I love lemon, too, so it's a toss-up between lemons and apples). The fresh apples of autumn are a baker's best friend. Here's a recipe for a German Apple Cake from Atlanta blogger Lisa Kuebler. It's rather like an apple-stuffed blondie and it's delicious.

German Apple Cake, or Apple Blondie

2 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 cups apples, peeled, cored, and diced (a mix of Granny Smith and Gala works well)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.

2. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and oil until creamy.  Add the sugar and vanilla and beat well.

3. Combine flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda in a bowl.  Slowly add this mixture to the egg mixture and mix until combined.  The batter will be very thick (like a dough).  Fold in the apples by hand.  The dough will be thick, but will turn into a lovely, dense, sweet cake. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Serve warm.

Check out the rest of my apple stories and recipes, here on A Cook and Her Books! Begin with my pictures of beautiful Blue Ridge in the heart of Georgia apple country.

More apple recipes:

Apple crisp
French thin-crust apple tart
Classic apple dumplings
Short-cut apple dumplings
Applesauce
Apple blondie

Three more recipes on A Cook and Her Books that use apples:


Text and images copyright 2011, Lucy Mercer.

4 comments:

Kris said...

I love apples in bars - this looks perfect. I want it for breakfast! :)

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I want it for breakfast, too!

bunkycooks said...

Apples and lemons are two of my favorites to bake with as well as pumpkin this time of year. There's lots of cold weather now, so it's perfect for baking!

Elle said...

I also love apple and lemons in my desserts! There's nothing like a delicious apple cake to say "fall is here."