Tuesday, November 29, 2011

How to clean glassware

Clean stemware. Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books
As we prepare for holiday entertaining, I thought it might be useful to share the method that I use for cleaning my stemware and crystal. I know there are many who use their lovely things everyday, but with granite counters, hardwood floors, young children and a knack for breaking things, I keep the good stuff shelved and bring it out only for special occasions. As a result, these bright red water glasses get used only around Christmas each year, and when I bring them down from the top shelf, they need a gentle bath to dislodge the layer of dust that's settled on them. Some may use the dishwasher, and goodness knows, I love my dishwasher, but I take no chances.

Here's my method:

Step 1. Place two large kitchen towels, or one folded bathroom towel, in bottom of sink. Gently place glassware on towel, a few at a time, do not stack.

Step 2. Fill sink with barely warm water. Not cold, definitely not hot, but room temperature or cooler.



Glasses in sink. Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books
Step 3. Add 1 cup white vinegar and continue running the water until the glasses are covered with water.


Vinegar. Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books
Step 4: Swish each glass individually in the water and use lint-free towel to dry. (Clean cloth baby diapers are perfect for this job, you can also find lint-free towels in the housewares section of discount stores.) Repeat until all glasses are clean.

Red glassware. Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books

What method do you use to clean good stemware? Please tell me in the comments below.

Text and images copyright 2011, Lucy Mercer.

3 comments:

HapaMama said...

I put a Silpat at the bottom of the sink. Usually, I put diluted vinegar inside each glass, but I like your method of mixing it all in the sink.

Festive red glasses!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme said...

Great method for cleaning delicate glass. I usually wash with a weak dishwashing solution and then rinse with a vinegar solution. The vinegar makes them sparkle :-)

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. said...

gosh i really needed this. I had no clue how to clean them