|Whole wheat cheddar soda bread. Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books|
Whole Wheat Cheddar Soda Bread
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur Organic Whole Wheat)
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
2 cups buttermilk (use whole buttermilk, if you can find it)
Milk or cream to brush on top of loaves
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet with vegetable oil.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, baking soda and salt. Add the Cheddar cheese and mix thoroughly (hands are good for this).
3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour in the buttermilk and stir with a fork until incorporated, but just. Using your hands, pull the mixture into a dough and lightly knead a few times.
4. Pat the dough into two rounds, place on baking sheet and, using a knife, cut an X into the top. Brush the tops of the rounds with milk or cream or whatever dairy is appropriate and handy.
5. Bake at 375 for 35 to 45 minutes, or until browned. You may need to use a toothpick to determine if the interior is wet. If so, bake for a few more minutes, until toothpick comes out dry. Cool on rack.
|Whole wheat Cheddar soda bread. Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books|