Monday, August 25, 2008

It's the Funniest Thing...

I've cooked a lot lately, but it's mostly the same old stuff I've already written about. I'm also busy with other projects, namely finding a permanent work situation, so I haven't had time to craft the articles that I dearly want to write. In the meantime, I've found a few items that have made me laugh so hard, I cried. Here they are:

1. This is an excerpt from Dan Quayle's Wiki page. It made me long for the good ol' days when we worried what vegetables the President ate, not whether the Commander-in-Chief had the IQ of a vegetable.

"Contributing greatly to the perception of Quayle's incompetence was his tendency to make public statements which were either self-contradictory ("We don't want to go back to tomorrow, we want to go forward"), logically redundant ("The future will be better tomorrow"), obvious ("For NASA, space is still a high priority"), geographically wrong ("I love California. I practically grew up in Phoenix."), fallacious ("It's time for the human race to enter the solar system"),or painfully confused and inappropriate, as when he addressed the United Negro College Fund, whose slogan is "A mind is a terrible thing to waste," Quayle said "You take the United Negro College Fund model that what a waste it is to lose one's mind or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."

As Vice President, Quayle was asked his thoughts on sending humans to Mars. His response was stunning for the number of errors he made in just a few short sentences. "Mars is essentially in the same orbit [as earth]....Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."

2. The blog Cakewrecks. When my day is overwhelming, like today when I was trapped in the car with two very unhappy and vocal children, I long to get home and take a look at this eccentric little blog. Be sure to check out the story about the firefighter cake!
http://www.cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

3. Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. Maybe not laugh out loud funny like the cake blog, but brain candy that does its job - putting the reader in another, more frivolous time and place. A bubble bath for the brain, if you will.

No comments: