Monday, September 19, 2011

Blue Ribbon Dreams Redux


It's late September and time again for the North Georgia State Fair, always an event for our family. From the petting zoo to the smoked turkey legs to the kiddie rides, we have a blast. Last year, I caught blue ribbon fever with my first entry into the baking categories. My Morning Glory Muffins took the honor, but my entries in the cookie and pound cake categories didn't place.

Well, I'm back at it again and planning my baking strategy for this week. I have three items that I plan to bake and enter, but I'm giving myself a break if all the recipes don't turn out as well as planned, or if my baking time gets cut short. (Let's see, two night meetings, piano, soccer, and a Very Important Birthday, all this week).

I'm going to go bold and enter the pie category with the best pie I baked this year - PieLab's Apple Cheddar Pie:


Apple Cheddar Pie by Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books

For the cookie category, I'm thinking of submitting my all-time favorite cookie: Ginger-Raspberry. 


Ginger Cookies with Raspberry Jam. Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books
 And if I have time, I might whip up the most-viewed recipe on my blog, Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake.

Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake by Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books

Three stellar recipes, three shots at blue ribbon glory. I think I might be able to make it. My family may be eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for supper, but sometimes, sacrifices must be made. I just noticed that there's a cheesecake category, and I make a mean cheesecake....

How about you - have you caught blue ribbon fever? Do you plan to visit a state fair this fall?


No comments: