Monday, November 11, 2013

Powwow at Stone Mountain Park


Aztec dancer. Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books
The last day in October turned out to be a perfect day to visit Stone Mountain Park for the annual Indian Festival and Powwow, the largest gathering of Native Americans in Georgia.I chaperoned a field trip while I was there, so my photographic journal is missing some key elements, such as a picture of Stone Mountain, the great quartz dome east of Atlanta  with the largest bas-relief carving in the world. But those can easily be found by using your Googletips. As for pictures that I did take, in between snaps of giddy kidoodles, excited to be out of the classroom, I snapped a few of the Aztec dancer family:

Aztec dancer. Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books


Aztec dancer. Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books

Aztec dancers. Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books
Aztec dancers. Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books


 Besides the dancers, the Birds of Prey show was fascinating, with lots of avian facts for the second graders to be quizzed on:

Birds of Prey show. Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books
And when we come back, I'll definitely try the Gator Nuggets.

Menu. Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books
It always comes back to food, always. Tell me about your day trips this fall in the comments below.
 

Text and images copyright 2013, Lucy Mercer.

No comments: