Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Crispy, sweet date candies

Crispy date balls. Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books

Anyone else remember these sweet treats from their childhood? I'm revisiting the Christmas treats of my youth this year, making orange-pecan-coconut balls, and this no-bake treat. It's a smooth date filling combined with crunchy Rice Krispies and rolled in confectioner's sugar. There's a lot of variations out there, but I'm a purist, sticking to the recipe on the back of the Amport Dates package. Be sure to buy two packages for this recipe.

Date Balls 

2 (8 oz.) packages pitted dates (Amport brand)

1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup)

1 cup brown sugar

4 tablespoons water

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups Rice Krispies

Confectioner's sugar or coconut for rolling

1. In a saucepan, mix together butter, water, dates and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat until dates disintegrate and form a paste.

2. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in 2 cups Rice Krispies. Let mixture cool until it can be comfortably rolled into balls. I used a 1-inch scoop and rolled the balls in confectioner's sugar or coconut. Store in an airtight container.

Look for more ideas for gifts from the kitchen like orange pecan coconut balls , roasted almonds and my never-the-same-way-twice snack mix on A Cook and Her Books. Looking for Christmas cookies? Try Scottish Shortbread and Macadamia Tassies.



3 comments:

Anita said...

I'm raising my hand! Indeed, I remember those date balls. I'm currently sitting on the sofa with the mother who prepared them for us! You'll know her as "Butter." Thanks for the excellent reminder.

Anonymous said...

I made the Crispy Date Balls this weekend; they are great! I will make more to give away for Christmas. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

These are gluten free which is a great plus for our holiday dessert table. Thanks for the reminder. I also love love love your Moms fruitcake cookies and have made them for many many years.
Carolyn W.