Thursday, November 1, 2012

My new favorite cake

Grapefruit Chiffon Cake. Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books
Do you go through baking binges? I sure do. I can go months without turning out scones, cookies, cakes or pies, then inspiration strikes and I buy a few pounds of butter, sugar and flour and go to town. This particular bolt of inspiration struck me back in the winter ~ it's a prize-winning cake published by nannydeb on Food 52.

It's called Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit Cake with a Hint of Mint and it's spectacular. I've made it four times this year and each time it has gotten rave reviews. You may be alarmed by the word grapefruit. Another word: don't. The flavor is subtle and really, more citrus-y than particularly grapefruit-y. If you need to bring a cake to a family function this fall or winter, give this recipe a try. It's definitely a keeper.

I left off the mint in my version and the cake got raves, but give it a try with the mint. The recipe is found here: Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit Cake with a Hint of Mint. Be sure to check out Food 52 while you're there ~ the recipes range from homey standards to fresh new takes on restaurant and international dishes. I even have a page and a spotlight (curtsy).

Text and images copyright 2012, Lucy Mercer.

No comments: